How Much Should I Spend on Paid Search for My Hotel?
October 19, 2017 8:39am
Lisa McCreary | GCommerce Solutions | Search Marketing Manager
We get this question all the time from prospective clients and new clients and it’s also something we revisit at least once (or more) every year for current clients. The truth is, there’s a lot more to it than picking a number based on the hotel’s location. It’s a complex answer that can only be determined by deep discovery and understanding of the hotel and its goals, the market the property is located within and historical data from the hotel. At GCommerce, every client’s budget recommendations are customized based on the hotel’s specific goals, historical performance and competitive landscape coupled with data from tools provided by Google, Bing and Doubleclick Ad Services.
7 Key Steps to Determining Paid Search Budget Recommendations for your Hotel
1. Hotel Discovery & Determining Competitive Advantages - this guides our keyword research which helps us determine the estimated cost per click for qualified keywords. We seek answers to questions such as, What adjectives describe the hotel? What are the nearby attractions that drive visitors to the market? What are the top business drivers for the hotel? What are the hotel’s top competitors? What special amenities, services or events does the hotel support? Then we utilize keyword planner tools from Google and Bing to determine keyword CPC and traffic estimates.
2. Establish business goals - we work closely with the client to determine their top priorities. Do they have a revenue goal they need to achieve? Does the client want to focus on driving more wedding or meeting business? Are they competing with OTAs to capture reservations? What are some of their biggest challenges and how might paid search help them overcome those hurdles?
3. Complete Competitive Research - paid search pay per click costs are based on a bidding model. Competitive research factors in how many other advertisers are bidding on the same keywords, whether or not other advertisers are bidding on your brand name and also provides an understanding of highly valuable keywords we should be including in our campaigns.
4. Analyze Historical Performance - the best way to estimate how specific budget recommendations will impact your bottom line or other business goals is to understand historical performance. GCommerce deep dives into website data, looking back multiple years, to gain insight into traffic, production, conversions, seasonality and other performance trends by month.
5. Market Research - where is the hotel located? does the market experience any seasonality? We gather information from the client directly and utilize Google Trends to follow keyword popularity trends over time. It is important to allocate budgets as it correlates to business goals and seasonality in the market.
6. Future Predictions - with a solid understanding of the hotel’s market and their previous performance, we can predict with a degree of confidence how much a specific budget might impact a hotel’s paid search marketing efforts. If they previously spent $Y and saw a return of $X, what kind of results would we expect if we increased or decreased their budget? Using this predictive modeling, we can find the optimal budget to ensure each has a healthy budget that reflects a positive Return On Ad Spend within their stated goals.
7. Finalization of Target Keywords and Presentation to Client - last, we will prioritize these keywords based on relative competition, traffic, and the hotel’s goals. We will work closely with the client to ensure that all keywords are relevant to their business and end goals. Organizing these keywords into the most relevant Adgroups based on what is most likely to convert provides us with the best opportunity for success in starting with a new budget.
At GCommerce, we believe in a customized approach for every client. This is true for all aspects of the overall marketing strategy and is how we approach each client’s budget recommendations. We utilize the vast amount of historical data and experience we have from working with clients in markets all over the country and combine that with a custom analysis to provide the best hotel paid search budget recommendations possible.
If you’re interested in learning what you should spend on paid search for your hotel, please reach out to your Account Executive or Account Manager today. Not a GCommerce client? Not a problem. Contact us and we can help you get started with strategic paid search marketing solutions today!
Like GCommerce on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gcommercesolutions
Follow GCommerce on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/gcommerce
Follow GCommerce on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/gcommerce
Lisa McCreary is the Search Marketing Manager at GCommerce, a hospitality digital marketing agency based in Park City, Utah. She currently manages the company's paid search marketing and search engine optimization strategies for hotel and resort clients. She has a passion for travel and marketing that has evolved into career, which began at GCommerce in 2008 as a marketing specialist. Since then she's served different roles within the company before finding her passion in search marketing.
Built on the belief that one-size-fits-none, GCommerce strives to eliminate the cookie-cutter approach to digital marketing. Catering to a wide variety of clients in the hospitality and tourism industry, GCommerce provides a customized, strategic, and client-focused approach to digital marketing. Services provided include but are not limited to search engine optimization and marketing, website design and development, display advertising, email marketing, and social media advertising and consultation.
Boasting a robust and diverse clientele, GCommerce serves at the pleasure of its clients, which include industry-leading hotel management groups, luxury and boutique hotel brands, resorts and casinos, franchises and independents, and more. No matter the scope of work, GCommerce remains focused on delivering a customized approach and incredible customer service to all its clients.
Focused on helping you discover the efficient frontier of digital marketing, GCommerce is waiting for your call. Contact us by phone at 435.214.5100 or email at email@example.com.
Contact: John Oscadal
10 Most Influential Hospitality Trends and Insights to Start 2018
TripAdvisor and Google Going Opposite Directions?
Art as A Marketing Strategy for Hotels – Infographic
The Importance of Data Transparency in Hotel Marketing
10 Secrets for Stellar Email Opens & Click-Throughs
5 Ways AI Is Transforming Hotel Marketing
5 Things Hotel Marketers Are Thankful for This Thanksgiving According to Tambourine
[Infographic] Classic Resorts Nets a New Channel of Travelers by Launching Advocacy with Flip.to
Tambourine Shares Hotel Digital Talent: Why Is It so Hard to Find?
Your Wine List Is Too Long
5 Travelling Trends to Consider for Your 2018 Marketing Campaign
Drive Direct Revenue with Paid Search Audience Targeting
Tambourine Shares Why Hotel Management Companies are Obsessed with Marketing Costs
All Forces That Do Not Respect the Law Become Tyrannical
Online Hotel Marketing — A Hotelier’s Guide to Inbound Marketing
Are Hotels Coveting only Half of the Millennial Market? Part Two
Tambourine Shares Why We Need to Talk About Hotel Marketing Metrics
Are Hotels Coveting only Half of the Millennial Market? Part One
How to Turn Your Hotel Guests Into Brand Ambassadors
The Secret Weapon Page on Your Hotel Website – Tambourine Insights
Please login or register to post a comment.